Realizations

Sadly this past weekend, I've realized how dreary the "real world" can be after all those warnings from older family members. This weekend I stayed in, not feeling my best and skipping the birthday cookout for my step-brother and his girlfriend that was an hour and 15 minute drive away. Not to mention those crazy storms that blew in this weekend, causing such havoc in the Ohio Valley and even in Pennsylvania. We had a tornado watch for quite a bit of the weekend, although luckily Rhode Island didn't see any twisters. Saturday I ended up watching Aeon Flux, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction and Chronicles of Riddick since they were on TNT sequentially. I reluctantly went out afterwards to get food for my cat and ended up calling Chili's for take-out. Then, Sunday I spent the day watching a Land Before Time marathon on HBO Family. After random hormonal outbreaks (why do the mothers always kick the can in my favorite movies? I mean, did they have to kill Bambi's mother?), I realized that my blog should really be helpful for me, as well as being helpful for others.


Many people don't know this, but I am horridly bad at moving. The first time I moved was when my mom got remarried and I moved from Connecticut to Florida. I know, you think "holy crap Florida! How can she complain?!". Well let me tell you, when you're not just visiting Florida you have to deal with severe drought, being told when you can wash your car or water your lawn, being excessively dependent on air conditioning and under the delusion that morning frost is snow. Okay, so that last part only bothered me, but come on people, frozen dew is not the same as snow... I stayed there for 2 years, made friends, found a boyfriend and then was forced to leave after divorce number 2. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to leave Satan and his demon spawn, but the whole idea of starting over again was very intimidating.


So, we moved from Florida to Pennsylvania to be near my mother's family. In fact, we stayed with my aunt for about 3 months while mom searched for a job and I started 10th grade. In high school, you pretty much have your friends figured out along with the different social circles since you've grown up with them. Since I didn't have that previous knowledge, I resorted to making friends with EVERYONE. Bad idea. I found out very quickly when certain people hated other people and I was friends with both that I needed to just narrow down to the people that I could relate to and weren't jerks. That was a relatively easy process seeing as most my good friends stemmed from band and color guard.


Even going off to college wasn't that hard, because it was like I had a home base at my mom's, and I knew my friends and I would get together for the holidays since we'd be home. This is not to say I didn't have friends in college, I did, I just wasn't going to the frat parties and getting wasted every other night since I had math homework to do. I graduated college, moved back home and started the job search. 4 long months later, I landed a job with my dad's old employer and moved to Rhode Island. Not before finding a boyfriend that I fell deeply in love with, making moving that much harder (flashbacks of Florida come to mind). I was told jokingly that I should let everyone know if I meet Peter Griffin, even after repeatedly reminding them that he is animated. The other thing I learned was that Quahog isn't just the residence of the Griffin family, it's a shell-like creature that is consumed much like oysters or clams.


However, with the new job, friends are much harder to come by. Of course, working with a bunch of middle-aged men doesn't help either. No joke, I was talking to my cube-mate about seeing Pamela Anderson at a club I went to for my brother's fiancee's birthday party, and he gave me a puzzled look before saying "who? Is she some kind of singer?". So amidst my older working crew and no school to help me meet people my age, this whole "real world" has been my social life downfall. I was told I should go to a meet-up group to meet new people, but honestly I just don't have the courage to go by myself. Maybe I'll just force the wonderful boyfriend to go with me when he gets here in 16 days.. hehe. (Not to downplay his arrival here, but I'm sure you don't want to read paragraph after paragraph of mushy "I love you"s so I'm omitting this for you dear reader.)


So read my blog, don't read my blog, care, don't care, it's up to you. Honestly I started this blog to help me talk about what's going on, but also to impart technological tips to help the masses. If all you're here for is the latter, enjoy!


Technology Tip of the Day:


Remember to charge your electronics before you go to sleep. If you get in the habit of plugging things in before you go to bed, you'll never have to worry about dying phones or laptops when you want to use them. This, however, doesn't work if you're playing Scrabble all day on your iPhone and then wonder why the battery is drained. You get out what you put in. If you don't charge it properly and want to use it for 30 minutes straight, that might be an issue. With iPhones these days, generally the 3G version can last most of a day with intermittent playing games and taking phone calls. If your father calls and wants to talk for an hour? Better find a wall outlet and get comfortable for the long haul. I've noticed that if you have under 20% left on your iPhone and you try to charge it, it will die even though it is plugged in. So my recommendation would be to use the phone plugged in until you're at 2%, end the call with the lame excuse "sorry, my phone is dying" and get off the phone. Apple's conference was today, so lets see the new and improved iPhone with less sucky functionality.   

No Response to "Realizations"

Post a Comment