Wednesday Woes

Well, it's been one of those over the hump days... You know the kind. You make plans, they fall through, you rely on someone to do something, they don't do it etc.

So, I had made plans with intern buddies of mine from last summer's intern experience (the people really made the job on that one, otherwise it was hell because of the 2.5 hour commute daily, but that's another story). We were going to go see Shrek 4 after going out to eat at Ruby Tuesdays. All good plans. It's been a year since we hung out and honestly, my work atmosphere consists of older family men... therefore no social life prospects. And let me say that my social life is wilting horridly. It was dying to begin with as I only have so many friends I hang out with on a regular basis, or even talk to regularly. So, my plan was filled with not having to rely on the phone (or the cat) for conversation. *social life happy dance*

Oh yea, I have a cat. She's fat. I like to call her Fatty McFat Fat. Or just Fatty for short. She's adorable and makes my lungs not want to work. Onward...

I get to work this morning and I am excited to get through the day, chill out with some friends and watch a funny movie. Well, my project leader calls in sick. This is after I sent her an email yesterday FULL of questions to be answered to help me revise a systems spec. So, there goes my work for the day. Time to look busy all day on the Linux lab computer and play Mahjong or FreeCell. Oh, and dodge my supervisor who appears at my side faster than the devil.

*Poof*
Supervisor: Hey! Did you change shop orders for today?
Me: Uhh... yea... um, like you told me to yesterday. *starts clicking like mad to get rid of the games and sees "invalid move" 50 times in the process.. damn FreeCell*
Supervisor: Good. Too bad Margaret isn't here to help with the spec.
Me: Right! I really hope she feels better... *clears the games memory... so long 4 game winning streak*
Supervisor: So what are you working on in the meantime? *leans around the desk to look*
Me: Oh, just looking at the code, trying to familiarize myself with it. *magically gets the main.C program displayed in time*
Supervisor: Good idea. I have a meeting at 1 and then I'm leaving early to go sailing.
Me: Oh, awesome! If I don't see you before then, have fun!
Supervisor: Thanks.
*Poof*

So. That was my 9 hour day... Why 9 hours you ask? Because in my company, there's a magical thing called "mandatory overtime". Boys and girls, this means that if you work the normal, labor union sanctioned 40 hours a week, you get a "talking to". Meanwhile, my mentor can't even make 40 but somehow has safety from said talks. Really. Back to my story...

So, around lunchtime, I get a text saying one girl doesn't have a ride home after activities. I offer to drive her the half an hour drive home. Then the interns decide they want to watch a game tonight instead of a movie so they want to go out to lunch instead of dinner. I can't do that, I have my scheduled 30 minutes I can take for lunch. That's it. So, then starts the rescheduling of plans... I can see the small glimmer of the "I'm not a cat lady because I have a social life" persuasion zoom right out the window. 

So sports fans.. I hate you. *grumbles* Stupid game tonight and the penguins aren't in the stanley cup playoffs and the flyers are... This must be some alternate universe I've gotten myself stuck in. Oh well, it includes beer. Maybe I'll stay awhile...

Technology Tip Of The Day:


We are not stuck in the Nintendo Entertainment System age anymore. Newsflash! If you kick it, it will probably break. Smaller parts that enable us to have wonderful things like netbooks and thin laptops, cannot stand up to the beating we would like to give them. So! Next time something makes you angry... Just hold down the power button until it restarts. That's the technology equivalent of kicking it in the balls! (It's also called a hard restart!)

1 Response to Wednesday Woes

May 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM

But it's so fun to hit electronics! D:

Post a Comment